Wednesday 2 June 2010

An editor in the making?

Digressing more that a tad bit from my history revision I am reading about editorship in Andrew Marr's My Trade (a book that is going to save my degree if I ever saw one). Becoming an editor is my number one dream, it is up there with publishing a novel, owning a house, losing two stone and affording a pair of Loubotins and yet affording to eat and pay rent ( listed in order of significance). Without bragging I can say that already I have some of the qualities that I need - I get a kick out of being in charge, I am powerhungry and I have an ego the size of Oxfordshire. However - one major piece is missing. One piece that seem to be vital to becoming an editor.
I cant do conflicts and confrontations.
I can break down a person to crumbles, slag off his/her work, ethics, personality and apperance - as long as he/she is not there. I cant bear to be mean and awful to someone's face - mainly because I don't like the thought of making people sad (I go by the old saying that what you don't know wont make you cry) but more importantly I am shit in physical combat. I get nervous and lose my words. I avoid my opponets gaze, stutter something incoherent and walk around cursing to myself for the remainder of the day because I was too much of a coward to talk back.
Marr writes about the heaps of mail with abuse and negative feedback. All that negativity have to come off like water on a goose's back. With me? More like a drenched kitten. I take it all personally and go into a corner and cry. Seriously. I am absolutely awful with critique - maybe that's why I am so sheisse at giving it to others.

I need to toughen up. I need to become a complete bitch - and be OK with it. I've got anywhere between 10 and 30 years to do it. So feel free to tell me I'm fat, and wait for my retort.

3 comments:

  1. How brave of you to insult someone and yet not reveal your identity. Multitasking - how skilled.
    So tell me, what is it like going through life without a spine?

    (see, I am getting better)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great answer! you'll be more than fine, whatever you attempt, i'm certain :)

    ReplyDelete