Tuesday 27 April 2010

On education

One thing that amazes me about my adopted home-country is the hatred of good education.
"What did she say?"
Yeah, that's right. "David Cameron went to Eton - what an upper-class twat, we can't have him - and Nick Clegg went to £28k a year Westminster School, he is not in touch with the working classes"
Wtf? Westminster School has the highest acceptance rate at Oxbridge Universities, is that not evidence enough ? (and don't give me that bias crap - I went through the application process for Oxford Uni, and that sort of bias is left behind) And Eton, how exclusive and selective it might be in the end, is jawdropping.
But no, that's no good for the Brits. Why would 'a man of the people' i.e. working class have a better understanding of how to run one of the world's greatest nations that one that has had the best education the country can offer?
It is all beyond me.

Tell me Britons, if you had a choice - would you put your kid through public schools?
I wouldn't.
If I had an extra 28.000 every year per future child I would send them to Westminster School in a hearbeat.

... and also, to Jackie Madden (the woman who so loudly protested against the idea of free schools during Cameron's speach in Romsey yesterday): Of course they will take money from the state schools - the whole point is to give each student a school funding that will go with each student - wherever the child attends. So yes, the state schools will miss out - but only if there is another schools that is better. I went to a free school started by a group of parents who thought the existing local state school was abysmal - creating something better because the opportunity was there. Saying schools will "loose out" because of the competition like saying (in the words of D. Cameron) "Isn't is terrible that the BBC has to compete with ITV?" And invest in a Wonderbra - they were all over the place.
Photo: dailymail.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment