Saturday 3 October 2009

Raising awareness of OCO or Why doesnt anyone see the sick chubbies? Part 2

It wasnt until after I had beaten it that I realised I had an eating disorder. I had never heard of "reversed anorexia" also known as OCO (obsessive compulsive overeating) and didn't know what it was.
I found a very good description on wikipedia ( wouldn't you know!) from a 2008 medical article:
"People that struggle with binge eating are likely to have alcohol problems and engage in impulsive behavior, such as not thinking before acting out. They do not feel that they can control themselves, are typically not close with their community, and have difficulty discussing their problems and feelings. They also have more health problems, a hard time sleeping at night, joint pain, muscle pains, menstrual problems, and headaches. Affected people often have suicidal thoughts, struggle digesting their food, and are stressed. People that have a binge eating disorder are usually ashamed and become very good at hiding the fact that they have it. They become so good at hiding that most people around them, including close friends and family members, do not even know about their disorder."
Once upon a time that was me.

It took years to finally beat the eating disorder and have a healthy relationship to food, which I still don't to one hundred percent and probably never will. I have gone from chub to skinny(my wake up call was when I refused milk because it was "too fat") to work out addict to skinny and to normal. Nowadays I am still quite soft around the edges and just like any average 19-yearold girl - if something goes tits up I reach for the Ben&Jerry's tub, but who doesn't?

I went home to Sweden just before I started university, just a few weeks ago. By order of my loving mother I started to go through my desk drawers which had not been touched for years and definitely not emptied. I started with the bottom drawer and there underneath an old Friends VHS I found a wrapper from an After Eight mint. A 13 year old girl had left me a message. This:
OCO is an eating disorder and yes, it does exist. It is one of the most common mental disorders in the world, fighting with OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) for the top spot. During my years on school no one ever talked about it (I eventually I stumbled upon it myself) or knew what it was. I was taught how to see the signs of bulimia in a friend and what anorexia does to the body but no one ever talked about "that other kind". We were told to open our eyes and discover bulimia, see anorexia.
But tell me, who sees the sick chubbies?


No, not every fat kid is sick, just like not every really skinny one has anorexia. BUT...
Please keep tuned, this is not the end of the story.
Raise Awareness of OCO.

No comments:

Post a Comment