Friday 11 September 2009

9/11 reflections


Today being the day that it is you cannot help but reflect upon what has happened since. I was only 11 in 2001. I turned on the TV when I came home and saw the unimaginable. I remember realising that nothing would ever be the same in the US. Quite maturely, to be honest.

Now I'm flat on my stomach reading the Independents article on young soldiers fighting in Afghanistan (read here).

They are sending out children to fight on the fields of Helmand. Age is nothing but a number and most eighteenyearolds I know aren't even fit to move out of their parents house yet. I was rather mature for 18 when I left home but for crying out loud, I moved to a country two hours away and my chances of getting blown to pieces or shot to death are a hell of a lot smaller than in a war zone.

I have grown up a lot over the past year and of course you grow up in the military too but isn't it better to do some growing up in a safer environment first before you get thrown into a war?

To me, before 21 you are still inbetween. Perhaps not a kid, but no adult. Im definitely not one and I could have been sent to battle over a year ago. Most people are not even an adult at 21 to be fair. So what is the rush?

And the US - seriously?

"You're not allowed to buy a beer but here's a loaded rifle son!"

Sigh. Full Stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment