Wednesday 23 September 2009

Looks like I'm not the typical journo

During my research for my first essay, which I am proud to say I have just finished, I found a pretty little book on GoogleBooks called How to succeed in Newspaper Journalism by David Stevenson (GoogleBooks link). He points out, referring to a poll made by the London College of Communication (at that time The London College of Printing), that the typical journalist is a 38 year old white middle-class male who votes Labour. Well, at least I fit in to one of those - at the moment I am so pale that a painkiller on my thigh would look like a mole.
Half of us wants to get rid of the royals ( Why, why, WHY, when Harry is so pretty?!) and we don't really make a lot of money. No surprises there. We are also clearly a very sensible bunch as 96 % of us are in favour of condom vending machines.

The best part?
According to the poll, 75% of British journalists wants to legalize prostitution.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with the arguments for or against, maybe you could explain to me: what's so good about legalizing prostitution?

    Or have I got the wrong end of the stick completely, were you being sarcastic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I am being sarcastic. It is especially hilarious considering the fact that the typical journalist is a middle aged male. I mean: guess who you'd expect to pay for sex...
    Therefore I dont think it really reflects on journalists in general but middle aged men. But I thought it was a funny fact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh right, thanks. I think that there are people who argue that legalizing it would mean it would be less dangerous (in terms of trafficking, abuse, etc.), as it would be brought out into the open. Also, you would cut off a revenue stream for other forms of related crime. Similar to the arguments for legalizing drugs: it means govts can control the problems of dirty needles, etc., and you stop the funding for drug wars.

    ReplyDelete